Sunday 18 March 2012

A Festive Weekend...

'Twas a festive weekend here on the Emerald Isle. Yesterday, Tan and I took our little lady into town for the St. Patrick's Day parade. Town was quite busy...and quite green! Prior to living in Ireland, all I associated with St. Patrick's Day was that it was the one day of the year every American somehow mysteriously became Irish . . . it was the day you ate Lucky Charms, wore green to school because you didn't want to get pinched, and ended the day asking your Mom if leprechauns were real. Perhaps you may already know this, but St. Pat's is a much bigger deal in America than it is here in Ireland. While there is a parade and yes, it is a bank holiday and so everyone gets a day off of work, it isn't what I expected. This past month, I spent a lot of time writing a paper on understanding the Church as community and for part of my research I looked into early Celtic Christianity. Of course, Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and St. Patrick's Day is really to celebrate the power of Jesus entering the lives of the Irish as a result of one man's obedience to follow God's call on his life. Now, that is something worth celebrating! Also, Sunday was Mother's Day here in the U.K. and Eiley and I got our picture taken in our back garden after Church. I am so thankful that God has allowed me to become the mother of princess Eiley this year. Enjoy the photos of our wee Irish shamrock ;)

Mother's Day 2012 - Belfast, N. Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment